Every minute, twenty people across the United States are victims of physical abuse from an intimate partner. The abuse of an intimate partner is referred to as domestic abuse. Here are some Facts About Domestic Violence that you should be aware of.
The most important components of domestic abuse are humiliation, intimidation, and physical harm. If the abuse of a domestic partner includes physical violence, it’s known as domestic violence.
Domestic violence affects everyone of all ages, earnings, religions, cultures, and nationalities. It can cause severe injuries and even death. What is the prevalence of domestic violence? Find out more facts here.
Facts About Domestic Violence
- Both men and women both men and women can be victims of domestic violence. In reality, 1 out of 3 women and one in four men will be victims of domestic abuse during their lives. For 1 of 4 women and 1 in 7 males the abuse can be extreme physical violence.
- There will be 10 million domestic violence within the United States each year.
- Physical abuse is usually associated with other types of abuse, including psychological abuse, emotional abuse, economic abuse, and stalking. In the case of female victims of attempted murder, the majority were stalked prior the attempt to murder.
- Between the ages of 18-49 75% of them will endure frequent abuse from the same person.
- The United States, domestic violence accounts for 15 percent of all violent crimes.
- Domestic violence is the most frequent for women aged 18-34.
- About 45 percent of female victims of rape and 29 percent of male rape victims were raped by their intimate companion.
- Children who witness or suffer from violence at home have a higher chance of becoming victims or perpetrators of domestic violence later in life.
- 20 percent of domestic violence is the recourse to weapons. A person who is abused’s access to a weapon can increase the risk of dying for a woman by 400 percent.
- The intimate partners of intimate partners are responsible for the murders of one of three female murder victims as well as one of 20 male murder victims.
Also, read Important Facts About Schizophrenia
You or someone else you are aware of is suffering from violence. There are ways to get assistance. You can contact 1-800-500-1119 or the Florida Domestic Violence Hotline in Florida, all day and 365 days. The counselors on the line can help you connect to shelters, support groups or advocacy groups. There are options offered for you to choose from English, Spanish and Creole.
Its National Domestic Violence Hotline can be reached by dialing 1-800-799-7233.
Crucial Facts About Domestic Violence
Below are the 16 most shocking details that expose the gruesome nature of GBV.
- One in three women around the world have been victims of physical or sexual violence in their lives.
- In the world, up to three-quarters of all murders committed by women are carried out by their male companions.
- 200 million girls and women have suffered from cutting or mutating the female genital area (FGM/C).
- Every year 15 million girls get married before they reach the age of 18. That’s 28 girls every minute.
- There is a consensus that around 10 million kids are the victims of sexual exploitation by children.
- Gender-based violence at school is why one in four girls claim that they do not have a good feeling when going to the latrine in school.
- Between 80 to 100 million girls are missing in the world’s population. They are the victims of infanticide based on gender malnutrition, femicide and abuse.
- One out of four women are victims of violent sexual or physical during pregnancy.
- Around 150 million girls across the globe are raped or victims of sexual assault every year, typically by someone from their circle of family.
- Today, more than 700 million women were married when they were children (under 18 years of age).).
- There are about 5,000 “honour” murders that are reported each year across the globe. Experts believe that the real amount of “honour” killings is much more.
- 30% of women worldwide have said they had their first sexual encounter was forced.
- A majority (58%) of all new HIV cases among adolescents in 2015 were among adolescents, females, and young women. The threat of violence can affect the capacity of young women and girls to safeguard themselves against HIV.
- The issue of domestic violence has become a major issue that is affecting 35% of women in the world.
- Around 137 women die due to their spouse or family member every single day.
- Between the ages of 15 and 44 have the highest risk of being victims of rape or domestic abuse than women who have cancer or malaria, car accidents, or got injured during the war.
Shocking, isn’t it?
This is why, here with Islamic Relief, we’re striving to ensure gender equality. We need your support in helping girls and women across the globe.
Also, read Facts & Strategies to Cope With Weight Gain Caused by Stress
A picture of the difficulties women and girls around the globe have to face might be shocking. However, it’s only the beginning of the story.
Women and girls in the millions are still struggling with deep-seated injustice and violence each day. These figures serve as a stark reminder that we must be more proactive in tackling and increasing awareness about VAWG.
We have to be more active. At Islamic Relief, we’re committed to fighting for gender equality.
We’re fighting on behalf of the rights of girls and women all over the world. We want to end physical and sexual violence, physical, political, spiritual, and cultural discrimination and enable girls and women to build their futures.